So. It is 11:57 PM, baby girl is sleeping in the other room in our sublease apartment in one of the most student dense area of the University town of Umea in the south of the north of Sweden. I arrived with baby on the 17th of August to begin this journey almost to the day 11 years ago when I left Sweden for the US. The extreme speed of the events leading to our migration over the Atlantic for the second time of baby girl's 4 month life have me slightly shell shocked. I am heartbroken, forlorn mostly but also curious and expectant of the journey ahead. If only Charlie could have come with then I would be able to take it all in stride but as it stands, he remains in NC to sell and pack up our house there, and wait for the Migrationsverket to give him the green light to come over to join us in Sweden. The apartment that I am in, was dirty and full with little lovely interior decorating details only a 20 year old boy student could come up with (hello vase with fake flowers and christmas ornaments or porcelain cars) but now after a few days of help from my mother and family it is start to be livable. Two candles burns on the 80s style round living room table to cozy it up some. Especially since Fall certainly already has arrived here in Umea. Granted we are located just below the arctic circle.
We have thanks to a family friend acquired a fine used car (very suitable a white Volvo V50) that will serve as our only car (in Umea public transportation is very well structured and nice, most people use this, walk or bike (even have specific bike and walk bridges in town) but it will be nice to have for bigger grocery runs and to be able to travel the 2-3 hours it takes to visit my parents inlands. Had to run some errands picking up baby items I wasn't able to fit into my suitcases in waiting for the ship to bring over the container with the very much stripped down version of our household. I also have been grateful to already see some beloved friends and their children as well.
Anyways it is late, I am missing my husband, Kerstin's american grandparents, extended family and my darling friends. Also most definitely missing my cats and the amazing house, and the wonderful habitat that North Carolina really are. Oh what I life I have lead these last 11 years in the states. Bonds for a lifetime, I know I haven't seen the last of the people making up the heart of it- but I am mourning the loss of the proximity of what was. I also want to say thank you for everyone that helped wish me a bon voyage with messages, a lovely going away shin dig, thoughts, little help with baby sitting K and simply being a good friend these past few years, I didn't have the time to send individual thanks before leaving but know it meant a lot that you reached out!
It is late. I leave you with some photos that will have to stand as a glimpse into the first few days on this journey. Time to hit the sack so I am not too tired when baby decides to wake tomorrow. Here is for a new beginning. Let the letters fly across the sea and keep my link to you in the Carolinas and beyond.
Much love,
Alexandra

Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar